The first Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod missionary came to Brazil in 1900, attending the request of German immigrants living in Brazil. The Seminário Concórdia was established in 1903 and one year later, the Igreja Evangélica Luterana do Brasil (IELB) became a district of the LCMS. In 1980, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Brazil (IELB) became an independent church body and a partner church of the LCMS. The IELB celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2003 and 2004.
In 1989, the LCMS began supporting mercy work in Brazil. The first grant helped special education students finish their high school studies. Since then, dozens of grants from Synod’s mercy arm helped disaster response and human care efforts in Brazil.
The LCMS supports the work of the IELB in mission outreach by planting and constructing buildings for new congregations and in theological education projects. One main mission emphasis is Portuguese-language radio broadcasts on 150 different stations. More than 50,000 responses have been received from listeners and more than 4,000 people are enrolled in Bible correspondence courses. Additional outreach programs include integrated mission centers (schools, medical and dental care), orphanages, elderly care, child day-care centers, deaf schools and hospitals.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Brazil includes 469 parishes, 1,355 congregations, 223,588 baptized members and 773 pastors. The church operates primary schools, secondary schools, two seminaries and several schools for the deaf. IELB missionaries serve in several countries, including in LCMS congregations in the United States.
Meet the international team. We have more than 200 missionaries working around the globe.
A partner church is a church body with whom the LCMS has full altar and pulpit fellowship. Many LCMS partner churches are also members of the International Lutheran council, a worldwide association of confessional Lutheran church bodies. Some LCMS partner churches came into existence through LCMS-supported mission efforts while others have historic roots that pre-date the LCMS or that are sourced in the mission efforts of other Lutheran church bodies.
The first LCMS missionary came to Brazil in 1900 at the request of German immigrants living in Brazil. Seminario Concordia was established in 1903, and in 1904 the Igreja Evangelica Luterana do Brasil (IELB) became a district of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.
Igreja Evangelica Luterana do Brasil
The Rev. Dr. Rudi Zimmer, President
Av. Cel. Lucas de Oliveira, 894
Bairro Mon’t Serrat
90440-010 Porto Alegre, RS
Mission stations: 528
Baptized members: 244,741
Communicant members: 179,585