Cuba’s ranking as the largest Caribbean island positions it firmly within the scope of Latin America & the Caribbean Region. The LCMS first established itself on the Isle of Pines, known today as the Isle of Youth, 31 miles south of the Cuban mainland, in 1911.
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod began mission work in Cuba (Isle of Pines) in 1911. In 1992, the constitution declared Cuba “secular”, but discrimination against Christians is illegal. In 1993, the LCMS restarted work in Cuba. Today, the LCMS continues to support the Lutheran church in Cuba with theological materials for Cuban leaders and by funding the travel expenses of short-term theological educators.